Monday, January 21, 2008

April 23, 1992

Iam on the bus. I leave downtown... NO! I am waiting for my bus
on Portage Avenue, Winnipeg's biggest street.I have a knapsack at
my feet. A woman who sells bus tickets in a kiosque in the
middle of the boulevard calls me over because she says I have the
wrong ticket or the wrong amount of money. I run over to the
kiosque and as I am talking to her, I see my bus coming. I
panick, grab my ticket and hop on the bus but my knapsack stays
on the sidewalk. I am very worried about it. The bus takes a
new route and takes us to a section of town we don't know. It's
all marvellously well kept, colourful buildings with balconies
and flowers and suddenly, we find ourselves in a little market
area, very quaint, lovely and nicely smellin. The driver gives
us a sly look and lets us down to take a look and says he'll make
one round and pick us up. We, (a bunch of women) walk into a
house boutique. It's filled with crafts; there are gingerbread
cutouts with gingerbread cutout clothes you can put on
gingerbread men and women. There are all kinds of strange things
I've never seen before. The craftswoman comes out to meet us at
one point. She is a lovely Irish woman with a tiny red headed
baby whom she lies slanted on a little Laura Ashley type pillow.
This is all very well I thinkbut there's not really all that much
substance to all this. I walk out; climb back onto the bus and
reach a dock where we now get on the boat. I am flying around
above the boat, still worrying about my knapsack on Portage
avenue and worried because I am surrounded by water. Suddenly, I
have my packsack plus two other bags but I've lost my bike which
I had parked on the bike rack of someone's car in a parking lot,
and they've left with my bike. I think of what a fool I am.


Previous
Next

No comments: